Wednesday, December 19, 2012

JUST a False Alarm! 12-19-2012

This is a somewhat progressive blog. Feel FREE to begin by clicking to my first post: Boologging Begins


I claim the middle RED stocking
I hope that 12-21-12 isn't ringing alarms for anyone; but, speaking of alarms...

I wrote this post one very brisk morning, and on that particular day, somewhere in the back of my mind I heard sirens. My writing-focused mind barely registered the noise.

The sirens intensify as I am immersed in my galaxy. My awareness heightens and I realize: I hear sirens, they are really loud, and it sounds like they are right across the street... GET UP and look out the window!!

Sure enough, there are two large fire trucks across the street in front of my neighbor's house. After donning my warm puffer vest, I head across the street towards the trucks to chat with my know-it-all, retired neighbor. He is already in the thick of the action: Joe, what's going on? 

Joe replies: Someone called in about our neighbor's roof ...the caller thought the roof was melting... like a fire is in the attic.

As the firemen walk the steep roof to investigate, a third truck arrives; they determine that what the caller actually saw was evaporating steam rising from the the frost-covered roof that looked like smoke. It takes three fire trucks and six firemen to determine...

... it is JUST a false alarm, which created sirens, three loud trucks, heightened senses, and even a required report.

...my senses were heightened every Christmas Eve as a child. Our family tradition was to attend a Christmas Eve service, eat goodies, and at bedtime anxiously listen for the rustling of papers or other noises as "Santa" prepared our gifts downstairs.

We waited forever, and all of those sweets and goodies made it feel like the Matrix "bug" was being sucked out of my stomach... in other words, my senses were really heightened. Normally around midnight, as I lie WIDE awake, Dad's, Ho, ho, ho! reverberated up the stairwell.

Immediately we 6 energetic children lurch from our beds to the living room. A stocking lay on each child's gift pile, so I know to head for the chair or couch with my stocking... (which I think was the red one). One year I received a combo radio/cassette tape player; that was cool. I loved Christmas.

As I look through my gifts, out of the corner of my eye I notice Dad, gulping a can of beer and Mom's concern. I experience sirens, bells, and whistles because... that look is coming onto his face, including his far-away eyes, slumped posture, and rubbery lips. He enters another galaxy, so to speak.

I approach Dad with one of my Santa gifts, and maybe ask him if he likes his gifts (anything to distract him from drinking); he smiles and we chat; I want him to be happy. I return to my gift chair; I failed... as he opens another beer can. I so want him to stop, because I know he has all of those scary signs.

I can't remember if chaos occurred that particular night... after we went to bed. Sometimes all of the signs appeared, but thankfully led to nothing. Nonetheless, figurative sirens rang, fire trucks arrived, and my mind anticipated the worst. It was unpredictable and random. I had no way of knowing whether it would be the real deal, or ... JUST a false alarm, storing another report in my memory banks.

I recently learned a few of the following less-known facts about alcohol. In, say, Bible-times the grape harvest occurred one time a year, and those grapes needed to last until the next year. Thus, the strength of alcohol was considerably watered down. It was common to have 20 parts water to 1 part wine. It was only on special occasions they might mix just 8 parts or 3 parts water to 1 part wine.

Comparing the alcohol content in today's average 2 glasses of martinis could equal drinking up to 21 glasses of Bible-time wine! Drinkers today quickly ingest considerably more alcohol, with just one glass.

More facts include: 1) During 2005-2010, 50 percent of Americans replied on a survey that they know someone (a family member or friend) who abuses alcohol or drugs. 2) During that same time frame, 52 percent of American 8th-graders say they have tasted alcohol.

Click the following link to a January 2013 CDC report with some stunning data: * Women who binge drink are potentially more susceptible to cancer, liver problems & brain damage  *  

FREELY digest these facts with no fear of being Matrix "bugged." Wishing you joyous, safe, happy-memorable celebrations as we approach Christmas 2012 and the New Year. 

Another thing for which I am grateful: My watchful neighbors

12-21-12's prophecies are JUST false alarms; the world will not end. My posts for tomorrow and Sunday are ready, and I CAN'T WAIT to post them!

Feel FREE to click the following link for a "refreshing" Christmas video: Unto Us...

No comments:

Post a Comment