Friday, December 21, 2012

I CAN'T WAIT! 12-21-2012


  This is a somehwhat progressive blog. Feel FREE to begin by clicking to my first post: Boologging Begins

 No more counting down to 12/21/12. In many parts of the world the 21st is history. Now it is time to think about 12/22/2012. We celebrate my grandson's second birthday, and I'm glad the world isn't ending! We have special plans which include a lighted backyard bench and a birthday video. I CAN'T WAIT! 

This entry should be posted on the 23rd, on Sunday, but I am early... because... I CAN'T WAIT!!

We were WAITING just 2 years ago for our Christmas baby's birth. During the months leading up to December I posted Facebook pictures of the size of the fetus at weeks 8, 9, 10 and so on. Grandchild #1 was due on December 19th, and I couldn't wait to meet the little life my daughter was incubating; waiting to touch and count his 10 precious fingers and toes. 

Maybe I was (and still am) grandchild-consumed because I am grateful to even be alive after staring death in the face and surviving. In 2006 I was diagnosed with stage 2, grade 3 aggressive breast cancer. After prayers, surgery, chemo, and medications, I see every special and wonder-filled moment as a bonus gift.

We arrive to the snowy, slick 2010 Chicago suburbs late on December 20th, Momma's spirits are anything but cheery after doctor's orders of: No inducement for another week.

She is ready to pop. So, to distract her, of course we head to the Gap; and fortunately we are all spared slipping on the black ice that had surprised a few shoppers just ahead of us! Just 17 hours later labor begins, and 7 hours after that, we energetically welcome our healthy, 7 lb. 11 oz. Christmas gift.

Christmas and waiting go hand-in-hand. I guess that is part of the fun. Traditions create the festive drama. Dad was not a handyman; but somehow, for Mom, he outlined our home's roof with lights. We drove miles and miles to cut down a live tree; ethereal Mom always selected the saddest, most crooked trees. Wires were painstakingly threaded through curtain rods and wrapped around the skinny, upper tree trunk to make it stand up. 

Creative Mom hand-sewed an advent calendar for the 6 of us to take turns placing tiny, hand-made ornaments onto. Treasures like that accentuated the 25-day WAIT. On Christmas Eve, I lay in bed, eyes wide open, earnestly waiting for the midnight "Ho, ho, ho" from Dad for the mad dash to see our gifts. Mom knew that none of us would sleep a wink if they saved gift-opening time until morning.

WAITING... for Christmas and for babies... are special and hope-filled times; WAITING... for my 2006 cancer surgery was not. I would have done almost anything to numb my thoughts as I waited endless days AND a few scary nights for surgery:  Is cancer spreading to other parts of my body through my lymph nodes? 

That question would be answered post-surgery; and it seems appropriate to WAIT, until Part II, to share my surgery results...

Another thing for which I am grateful: Hope-filled holidays.

Just two more posts and this commitment will be fulfilled. I will be FREE of this two-blog-a-week commitment! Part II of this post is planned for Wednesday, December 26th, but might come earlier, if I CAN'T WAIT... Deo Volente.

No comments:

Post a Comment