Thursday, February 14, 2013

"What's MY Line?"

My 1982 thumb-sucker listens to a sweet Sesame Street story
            Identifying with others can be a valuable human experience. My son used to don his "blankie" to identify with caped crusaders, and now my grandson wears a Buzz Lightyear costume. Books, television, and movies give a plethora of people with whom to identify. 
    
      My sister and I enjoy identifying with certain movie characters. We seek movies, maybe to escape our past, or maybe to coalesce our confusion. A particular movie seems to mostly follow my life... I key in on the main character's weaknesses, strengths, emotions, and reactions to difficulties that are kindred to mine. The movie is actually corny, so I won't embarrass myself and reveal its title, yet anyway. What's MY movie line...

  • Audrey is raised somewhat isolated from the outside world, in an upper-middle-class home. She is spirited, yet dreamy, drifting, and served.
  • Audrey is clueless to the plight of others; her life is flat and quite selfish.
  • Her world is rocked, and she leaves her familiar surroundings feeling dazed.
  • Audrey is frightened and follows a stranger, under the guise of rescue, to a new life.
  • Audrey's name is changed by this stranger, to Annie, and she lives with a new family; she is exiled to what feels like a foreign land with foreign habits and customs.
  • Annie doesn't understand this stranger, nor the others around her. She feels orphaned and invisible, and they don't understand her... but Annie is dutiful.
  • Annie feels miserable and disassociated. She wrestles with two critical questions: Who am I?  and  How on earth do these strangers fit with whoever "me" is?
  • As Annie matures, her eyes begin to open. She learns to feel others' deep needs.
  • A major set-back occurs, cancer and chemo, with dizzying and spinning side-affects, but she eventually bounces back.
  • Annie discovers her sense of humor, and she vigorously LAUGHS. She deeply connects and becomes constructive and resourceful.
  • She activates "Audrey-ness" fostering in those around her betterment, beauty, and building.
  • Annie is unaware that Audrey is crucial to her voice, and it almost feels like her (prematurely-deceased) Mom is persistently "telephoning."
  • She begins to connect with, as well as face, her past... by writing, and she finally fully re-awakens, Audrey.
  • Autrovert Audrey and dutiful Annie aren't quite certain how to integrate, creating sadness and depression; but fortunately a softened, vulnerable, and grateful disposition surfaces.
  • Writing continues, and integration of the two begins. She takes the plunge into the deep waters (with life vest on, of course) and resurfaces as one: Audrianne.
  • Audrianne's writing venue is blogging... she re-visits issues in "logic-filled" CHIPMUNK!, "Ecclesiastic" TOO's, Two's & 2's, "wrestlemaniac" Groundhog Day, "identifying" What's MY Line, and "Monky" * I am IN LOVE... * 
  • Audrianne's deep desire is to germinate new life, as she researches "What's My SEGUED Line."
      
      The vintage 60s show, "What's My Line" was a guessing game in which four panelists attempted to determine the line (occupation), or in the case of a famous "mystery guest," the identity, of a contestant. When question-and-answer time was over, the contestant with the occupation or identity stepped forward.

      Following the "What's My Line" scenario, I step forward to own my movie identity: I am Annie in Overboard. Annie's adventure takes place over a 2-month timeframe; I am a bit delayed, taking 57 years.

      Why find out with whom I identify? It is therapeutic. I see myself in Annie, and I strive to soften (unlike gritty, egocentric Bill Murray in Groundhog Day, who angrily experiences the same senseless day over, and over, and over again like a hamster spinning in its wheel). MY story seems to have pursued me, and my reaction is to respond in kind and pursue a deeper life that nourishes others.

      In early blogs, I compare my driving will to a race horse. I have spirited blemishes and blights; but, like Overboard's Annie, I distinctly feel grace, compelling me to FREELY submit and surrender my will to the Author and Owner of my new and redeemed story:  *the FOREVER Substance Behind the Shadows*.


B4 B12
B4 b12's b-lie, a bwailing bseeching brated b-ing bdeviled bfore bspeaking bcause of this  bhooved b-ing's bwildered & bfuddled bnightedness. Byond & btween bseige, I bwail bstrewing, bnign bmusing: bware lest B12 deficiency btakes.

1 comment: