Friday, February 1, 2013

Close Encounters of the Teeth

       A news report says that on February 15th an asteroid the size of a 15-story building will orbit very closely to Earth. Our planet will likely experience a rather close encounter with that space traveler!

     On an extended solo road trip, I had a close encounter with a 4-hour audio book, The Call. Author Os Guinness includes a potent reminder that in my seasoned 50s I have fewer years left on this earth... In other words, as my earthly age increases, my remaining age decreases... to when I see my Caller. I so want my remaining years to have purpose, meaning, calling, and FUN too!
           
     On the heels of a busy, week-long visit with my daughter and her family, I reminisce. I treasure each precious visit with my grandson and manage to maneuver at least one camera shot of myself with my little guy. They are close encounters that are "forever-captured."

      Since he is in the always-in-motion, elusive, tremendous 2's, it is challenging to quiet his squirming body AND snap the picture. A food-dribbled shirt or toothpaste-filled mouth doesn't ruin a shot. I intentionally limit my photo ops and try to not strong-arm him for the few shots I do take. I value the naturally-occurring moments and intentionally maneuver into his little world. On this recent visit, I ended up with three forever-captured close encounters: brushing our teeth, playing in the snow, and tumbling on the couch together.

      Recalling my daughter's Saturday night church service, I am reminded of yet another amazing aspect of  *the FOREVER Substance Behind the Shadows*.  He treasures me and respects my little world. He prefers to not strong-arm, but cherishes naturally-occurring close times when my mind enters His FOREVER realm. During a meaningful worship song, I strongly felt His presence, for an unusually extended time. In fact, I now imagine hearing a faint  "click" as He might have snapped that "FOREVER-captured" salty-droplet, face-dribbled close encounter.


News Flash! Proper Technique to Brushing Teeth Slows Gum Recession...
Proper brushing technique is helpful to prevent gum recession and overall dental health. For years, to prevent cavities, I abused my gums with vigorous, intense, wide and damaging brush strokes. I was instructed to brush more gently to save my gums. At my last dental visit, the hygienist said my gentle brushing was causing gum swelling. Argh!

I asked the informative hygienist to once again demonstrate the proper technique. Then, the key was I asked her to watch me brush my teeth. That made all of the difference. She saw my technique and helped me tweak it. Why didn't I do that years ago?

No comments:

Post a Comment