Sunday, December 29, 2013

Ouch! That's Sharp



A sharp covering in our backyard
     I begin composing this entry the day after Christmas as we wake up to picturesque, thorny frost on our backyard's tree and bench. The morning is sharp, in a variety of ways.

     Gifts have been exchanged and Bananagrams was heartily played. Today we consume leftover pancakes and homemade potato soup. We warmly recall viewing funny family videos and the movie Lone Ranger


     I reflect on one gift and wonder if I will ever use it. It is a coffee press (also used for tea). Coffee's acidity stirs up stomach issues, and loose-leaf tea isn't my cup of tea. Maybe the gift can be returned.

     Thorny frost, on the heels of Christmas, permeates my mind. 
Jesus was the soft, precious Christmas Gift, born... for a unique purpose. He was born to demonstrate God's love. 

Sharp, thorny frost covers the tree's crown
     Thirty-three long years later, the adult-Jesus was forced to wear a sharp, ugly, thorny... crown, on the crown of His head. The Babe-gift is clearly embraceable; after all, I love sweet newborns. But, the penetrating question is:

     Will I sharpen my spirit, and see beyond the cuddly...

     ... to be impacted by the Savior?

     During His last days, Jesus experienced ridicule and grit. During this complicated holiday season, why shouldn't there be the figurative, sharp "Ouch" of thorns? ...and placement in the "pole-position?"

     ...the gravity... of posture and positioning... is realized only afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment