Sunday, December 8, 2013

MAN, Oh MAN, Mandela

Viewing the movie Invictus in 2010
     Through inspiring movies like Invictus and television specials aired after his December 5, 2013 death, at the age of 95, the powerful spirit of the MAN, Nelson Mandela, will live on in South Africa and world-wide. Activist Mandela was willing to give his own life for peace.

     Mandela (lovingly referred to as Madiba, Father) was a MAN who inspired and keenly demonstrated, to his mistreated people, how to forgive and peacefully respond to their years-long former oppressors. Mandela's fist salute and winning smile thawed hearts. He was a MAN who strategically used South Africa's favorite sport to unite the country.

     The poem Invictus, by William Ernest Henley, embodies the unbelievable strength Mandela displayed throughout 27 years of imprisonment and solitude. He had every reason to hate his enemies, but he refrained from showing fear or anger lest he reveal a leveraging kink in his armor:

...It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

 Entire poem, Invictus, Wikipedia

     Viewing one of the many specials commemorating this Nobel Peace Prize -winning, larger-than-life, MAN, the host concluded with this paraphrased statement: "Mandela is a MAN who changed South Africa... and he is a MAN who changed the world."

     When one has justified anger against cruelties and injustices, actively fighting for freedom, it is challenging to change that fight trajectory. Mandela and his people experienced horrible atrocities. Once freedom was achieved, inequalities and unfairness still existed (the world is not perfect). How does one's mindset move from fighting activist to peace-loving leader? 

     Somehow, probably through 27 long years of imprisonment, Nelson Mandela re-calibrated his mindset. He focused on peace instead of hatred. After imprisonment and his successful election, he worked with his former Apartheid enemies. He managed a peaceful and productive co-existence in South Africa.

     News footage from Mandela's memorial included his former and current wives hugging; President Obama and Fidel Castro's brother shaking hands; and Singer Bono stating his desire to do more for the cause of peace. Peace is Mandela's defining mark on the world, and it is contagious.

     Generations from now, after 2,000 years, video footage will archive Mandela's indelible mark. But, will his impact still accurately be felt? Mandela truly was a hero and is a legend; yet, how will South Africans know exactly how the MAN would respond to upcoming events?

     I can't help but think of Another... MAN... who displayed similar peaceful actions, and more. Over 2,000 years ago He walked this earth. He was a living, breathing, quietly powerful, yet peaceful MAN. He supernaturally healed people and demonstrated impossible love. He came to save humanity; He inspired many; and, He willingly and literally gave His life, for me (and for Nelson Mandela). He threw my shackles into the sea. He is alive and seated on Heaven's throne as God's only Son. His special birth and life-giving name are why we joyfully celebrate Christmas.

     I sometimes wonder whether Jesus-followers, including myself, are living out the Message accurately. We have the Bible for guidance, but how would Jesus respond to today's complicated world? Do I need to temper my fight trajectory and recalibrate? I am saved from a dire eternal fate, and I am living for God. It is a revitalizing relationship that encourages measured freedom. I refrain from unbeneficial activities; yet, I don't feel deprived or denied. In fact, I feel more alive than ever.

     Will others yearn to meet the MAN and Savior I know? My posture, during holidays and family-times, is sober. A masterful, introductory, 4-minute music video of the re-enactment of Jesus' birth, life, and death is just a click away, at the link below:

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love your thoughts in this post…there's so much meaning in your statement: "I don't feel deprived or denied. In fact, I feel more alive than ever."

    ReplyDelete