Saturday, August 31, 2013

Easy & Tasty Apple Salad

     January 2013 I posted this healthful apple salad recipe. It was within and at the end of a blog, so it may have been overlooked. A Facebook friend recently said she loves it, and my husband and I continue to enjoy it. Maybe the cinnamon makes it taste a bit like apple pie.

     There is no major laboring involved with the preparation of this recipe. It is healthful and was begging to be re-posted as a stand-alone blog. My entire family loved it last Christmas.

     Apples (and their skins) contain pectin which encourages digestion. My preference is to use organic apples.

Hyvee's Apple Salad (t=teaspoon, T=tablespoon)

1 med. apple sliced & chopped (honey crisp is recommended, but I prefer Granny Smith)
3/4 t lemon juice
2 T chopped walnuts
2 T honey
1 t flax seed
1/8 t ground cinnamon (this ingredient helps sugars digest & creates an apple crisp taste)
1 T salted sunflower seeds (optional)
1 T dried cranberries (optional)

In a small bowl, combine the apple and lemon juice. Add remaining ingredients; toss to coat. Chill until serving. Yield: 2 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment