Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Sweet Crossings

     In one of my premiere Deo Volente entries, I reminisce about a soaking lake walk experience with my husband. We were unexpectedly caught in a major downpour with lightning filling the skies. Last night, for the second time in 8 years of lake walks, we once again were unexpectedly caught, this time with no umbrella and at the farthest location possible from our parked car. 

    Rain water never melted anyone! we quip as we press on at roadrunner pace. We repeat the errant mantra: Surely the rain is just about to stop. 

     It drizzles then pours, and drizzles then pours, throughout the entire return walk. We arrive to the car in need of either a spin cycle or a quick change; we choose the latter and then celebrate with Braum's soft chocolate fro-yos.
 

     A recent NPR Ted Talk floods my mind as I write this watery entry. In 2005 a brave, 30-plus-year-old woman sets out on an adventure, in a row boat alone, crossing the Atlantic Ocean. It takes her a little over 3 months to cover about 3,000 miles. It is the year of Hurricane Katrina, with more tropical storms than ever before. All of her oars break. She resourcefully fixes the first oar with duct tape and a boat hook, and ensuing breaks are fixed in various creative ways. The oar challenges are a symbol of going beyond her limits.

     During Roz Savage's Ted Talk presentation she addresses questions like: How did you sleep? What did you eat? What challenges did you experience? What did you wear? Did you have a chase boat?

     After that successful Atlantic crossing she decides to take on the Pacific Ocean, and briefly shares her experiences and challenges accomplishing that goal. Her main mid-life passions include sharing about her adventurous experiences and inspiring others to help the environment.

Karen H. Good

     Spring 2012, I set out on an adventure. My goal is to "know thyself" as I stretch my writing skill set. I hesitantly leave my secure position and cross figurative open waters. I compose my historical family memoir, successfully rowing a figurative Atlantic Ocean. I go beyond my limits.

     A second adventure compels me... I vow to blog for 12 months and cross what seems like a forever, figurative Pacific Ocean. I row in my little kayak (even though the above-pictured, red, polka dot sailboat would be a cuter transport). After 9 long months of blogging, the expanse seems endless. My hands are raw, I am sun scorched, and my stamina wanes.

     Direction is sought from a distant power plant and GPS, as well as a deep, sixth sense compass. The idea to review one of my favorite books intensifies, addressing a most strenuous topic. This adept non-fiction creates in my mind an enormous paradigm shift about how I see God. It sustains me and feeds my Boomer passions to share adventures that might someday inspire others. August entries will explain the paradigm shift as sweet crossings kayak to Larry Crabb's refreshing primer: The PAPA Prayer.


Click here for Ted Talk's Rowing the Atlantic Roz Savage

No comments:

Post a Comment