Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Singing in the Rain! 11-21-2012


This is a somewhat progressive blog. Feel FREE to begin by clicking to my first post: Boologging Begins


Happy Thanksgiving! It is a delicious time of year, and we've already started eating mega-spreads of food. My childhood Thanksgivings were always food-filled, with oyster dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, and once-a-year pumpkin pie...I would end up like the turkey...stuffed and taking a long nap! My enchanting Mom strived to make Thanksgivings family-filled. This year, we will gather as a small family unit, making a memory with our grown son at his home.

As I shared in October's "Boo-logging Begins" I do write a lot, but I'm not a writer. I have journals dating back 15 years stored in my bedroom. Sometimes I'm tempted to pitch them, because the babble, babble and yada, yada seem insignificant. In one especially intense entry I felt disillusioned by the circumstances of life; I felt betrayed by my journals and was close to burning all of those dusty books. Yet, something stopped me; I couldn't discard them because it would feel like I was cutting out my heart. I guess my husband or children will have to enjoy a blazing bonfire one day in my memory.

A few sentimental entries are in my old and cherished journals, and today I have an inclination to share one of them, from a few years ago. My husband and I were unexpectedly caught, half-way through one of our walks, in a sudden downpour. Bolts of lightning traveled horizontally above us, and some of them were too close for comfort. Jeff, we have to get to the boat house. I'm scared and don't feel safe walking with lightning so close!!

We sprint to the boat house and stay there just briefly, until the lightning lessens. We are cold, and frustrated, not looking forward to our 30-minute walk back to the car. It is a prime opportunity to begin blaming each other for our predicament: It's your fault we're caught in this thunderstorm. I told you it was going to rain! Good thing I brought an umbrella, just in case.

Rather than finding blame (why is it that petulance feels so...satisfying) we "bridle" our tongues to intentionally turn lemons into lemonade. It is apparent the downpour isn't going to be over soon, so we make the best of it. It is scary at first (because of sporadic lightning) and our teeth are chattering, but crazy Jeff says, Let's go for it, and I hesitantly cooperate.

We continue our walk and it magically morphs into a positive, Singing-in-the-Rain experience. For 30 minutes we walk arm-in-arm holding each other as close as possible under our small umbrella’s protection, with our steps mostly in sync, attempting to keep each other warm and relatively dry. We enjoy our FREE entertainment, listening to the pelts of rain hitting our shared umbrella. Who cares if our feet are soaked... it's only water!! Just make sure the camera stays dry. One of us who is a little obssessive just happened to bring a baggie to protect the camera. Just sayin'...

Why the wingo couldn't I (in my childhood)...have reacted differently, reaching out to my five siblings, using humor or something to lighten the atmosphere of our alcoholic home and turn lemons into lemonade??? Instead, I lived in my autrovert bubble. An aspiring writer's blog is at: elainesperfectstorm.blogspot.com   

Jeff and I were on a mission, walking together to safely reach our dry destination. Dare-devil Jeff faced the electrifying elements, and at opportune times I couldn't help but, Gene Kelly-like, skip and sing in the rain! We created a treasured journal entry...and now it is galloping through the blogosphere.  *A video clip from"Singing in the Rain is just a click away*

Another thing for which I am thankful: #8  Free SURPRISES at our nearby walking trail.

My "SWAMP Thang" post will be Sunday, November 25th (just one month before Christmas).... Deo Volente!

No comments:

Post a Comment